Slow Cooker Pork Verde and vegan cashew cream
this recipe is from Diana, who teaches yoga at Spira Power Yoga. Check her classes out on-line and in-studio.
Ingredients For the Slow Cooker
· 4 pork chops or 1 pork loin
· 8-10 tomatillos – Peeled, rinsed, and quartered
· 1 poblano pepper, chopped
· 1 jalapeno pepper, chopper
· 1 medium yellow onion
· 1 cup chicken bone broth or stock of choice
· 1 tsp cumin – Seed or ground
· Salt & Pepper
Instructions for the Slow Cooker:
· Place everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
· Shred the pork with two forks before serving.
· Optionally top with lime and cilantro.
Ingredients For the Vegan Cashew Cream
· 1 cup raw cashews – If you have a high-powered blender no prep is needed, otherwise you can soak them for a few hours ahead of time to help the blender along.
· ½-1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk – Start with ½ cup and then add only as much as you need to help your blender get things moving. You can always add more nuts/almond milk to get the texture right.
· 2 tbs nutritional yeast
· 1 tsp salt
· ½ tsp cayenne pepper – Optional if you like it zippy
Instructions for the Cashew Cream:
· Place everything in the blender and whiz until smooth, like nacho cheese.
· Stores well in the fridge for a few days.
· I’ve brought this as a dip to parties with roasted jalapenos and it is always a hit with tortilla chips! Just play with the salt and nutritional yeast levels until you like the taste. Also great to top nachos with.